View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Default interesting jury duty experience

The other post on jury duty got me thinking about my one jury experience, which I found pretty interesting. This happened a couple of years ago, but I think I have the details right.

local district court, criminal trial. The guy is charged with two counts.

1. Attempted Robbery
the police are observing this guy for a while, and they watch him park his car, walk behind a Denny's type restaurant, and croutch in some tall grass behind the place, where he could observe the back exit where employees would go to take out the garbage. It's dark, right around closing time. After about ten minutes, he gets up, goes back to his car, and drives off. The police who have been watching him pull him over, and find a stocking on his head, some duct tape, and a toy pistol. He is charged with attempted robbery against the manager of the restaurant.

What say ye, OOT, guilty or innocent?

2. Theft
A half hour before the incident I described above, the same guy walked into a supermarket, where the store security camera catches him reaching over the customer service counter and taking a carton of cigarettes. We are given images from the camera showing this, and it's pretty clear. This store sells the same brand duct tape and stockings that he was caught with in his car a bit later. He is charged with stealing the duct tape and stockings, but not the cigarettes!

What say ye, OOT, guilty or innocent?