View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Computers And The Lost Art Of Handwriting

[ QUOTE ]
I think cursive, but who knows.

I see no reason for decent handwriting, as long as it is legible. It pisses me off that it was graded in elementary.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does me, too.

Boys develop the motor skills for good handwriting later than girls do, and when I was a kid, good handwriting was equated with every good social characteristic imaginable, from friendliness to intelligence, and poor handwriting was spoken of as if it signalled conclusively the opposite. Not very fair to young kids, who have trouble writing well in the first place, and to young boys in particular, who simply develop differently than young girls do in that regard.

In Europe, I understand, handwriting "analysis," which I think has no more validity than astrology or numerology, is supposedly very commonly considered in job applications and suggested as a legitimate basis for psychoanalysis. Very sad and very scary that having better or worse fine motor control is foolishly promulgated as indicative of absolutely every sort of fitness.

My handwriting is terrible, so I learned to print instead of using cursive, as it's easier to read. Better, I learned to type, so I wouldn't have to either subject people to my chickenscratch or be judged by it.