View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Too Tight on Bubble? 10+1

I am shocked at the chorus of folds, but that always seems to be the consensus among a pretty weak tight crowd. Let's review:

1. This is a 10+1, open pusher could have almost anything, although I would guess most likely is Ax. If you are really unlucky you will run into something sooted.

2. One poster says you "aren't that big a favorite against KQ or a lower ace", exactly what kind of favorite are you waiting to be then?

3. Most of your profit comes from winning these. Calling here is an easy shortcut to that goal. Against the pusher's likely range you are unquestionably well ahead.

4. You can almost certainly eliminate the only two hands that are real trouble for you. Is there anyone who plays AA or KK this way?

There seems to a tendency here to believe that you should pass up a chance to get all your money in the middle, because there will be a better opportunity or better cards later. Being a scary good player cannot conjure up better cards than your opponent's. Part of becoming good is accepting that you need to make the most of the few big hands you get in a short tourney. Instead there seems to be a lot of people looking for excuses to fold their best hands.

There is another poster (adanthar I believe) who is fond of saying that if you called every odd seeming raise or wild overbet with your good hands you would rarely be wrong. The same holds here.

Call fer chrissakes!