View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Fossilman: Stealing on the bubble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And of course Matt Dean had a big stack because he decided to make that DONK coinflip call against John Murphy with 13 left for nearly all his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean played poorly once at the final table, but I think it's a little unfair to call his hand with Murphy a DONK move. Give the guy credit for having a set and making a tough call. And keep in mind, that if he had a strong read that Murphy had AK, it's not exactly a coinflip: 57-43

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate Dean's call there versus Murphy personally. I think he made this for two reasons.

1) He was obviously light years behind the other players when it came to post-flop play and knew he needed to take a HUGE coin-flip to increase his payout substantially. I am impressed by his balls, however, not an easy call to make for a teacher making 40k a year.

2) I liken this call to a situation in an SnG where there are 4 players left: 2 at T3000 and 2 at T1000. You push UTG with say KQ and the other "sheriff" bigstack somehow feels the urge to call an almost certain coinflip with Ax although this play is -$EV in the long run. For some reason Dean used this backward logic.