View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Poker as a living. How to deal with my family?

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, there isn't a 40 year old alive who doesn't know that they were a fool when they were 20. You will not be the first to buck that trend. So give your parents some credit for knowing something about life and what's really important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. And I'm only 31. No offense to the OP but give your folks (and the more experienced posters here) some credit and consider that they may have a broader view of what's at stake here.

I know you've already resigned yourself to taking a job of some kind before returning to school; you might now consider that it could be a great opportunity to grow and gain new experiences. Since your living at home and most of your friends are probably away, take the opportunity to set some lofty goals that will keep you playing in your spare time instead of going out and spending a bunch of money.

When I look back now at all the money I blew in my twenties just eating out and drinking in bars, I could probably retire ten years earlier if I'd just been agressive in investing half that money.

Here's a suggestion if you really want to blow your parents away... Take whatever job interests you most and save what you need to get back to school in spring. Then play poker as much as you can and build your bankroll to where you want it to be. Any additional funds from poker could go straight into your Roth IRA and you'd stand a very good chance of having $1,000,000 at age 50.

I would bet they'd be much more impressed by seeing you contribute the maximum to a Roth at your age than paying them rent.

cbf