View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: I want to believe I\'m a winning player, i REALLY do

If I had to guess, this is probably indicative of something else wrong with your game. I'd be curious to see what the statmasters had to say on this. I can just offer you this from personal experience. After beating live play middle limits for about a bet and a half per hour for about 2 years (including 5 months as a pure professional), I was unable to beat the middle limits online. This is not to say that I was losing, rather, I was playing live and online at the same time and using the same game to beat both games (except I was not beating the online version for any amount of money that could be considered "worth my time.")

The reason for this was that I had not adjusted to the changes in the game.

As a second story, consider that the same live game that I'd beaten consistently over the two year span started beating me. I was playing 10/20, 20/40, and experienced a $6,000 downswing in these games. Granted, my luck was bad. In fact, it was very bad. The amount of this downswing, however, gave me reason to pause. Only then did I realize how much the game had changed in front of my eyes without me even realizing it. I had failed to adapt to my live game. In my game specifically, I had been used to loose-passive play. Television, however, had produced a lot of LAG play and I had failed to adapt at all.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but I would be concerned about this and think through your strategies because, more than likely, either your game has changed or the game has changed.