View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Mike Caro has lost his mind!

[ QUOTE ]

“Now people say ‘oh no! oh no! You have to raise with aces. Because, otherwise people are gonna come in and draw out on you.’ I say let em! Let em come in and draw out on me. Yes, I’ll take more losses. Of coarse with more people shooting at my pair of aces, I’ll lose more often. But I don’t care, because they’re getting the worst of it. If they’re getting the worst of it, then I like it. I’m getting the best of it, so I want to invite people in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes much more sense than "never raise with aces", and it expresses a concept that most beginners would do well to learn; you never raise with the sole intent to 'chase people out' unless you are bluffing. A raise for value is nothing more than offering your opponents the worst of it when they have inferior hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if I raise, or maybe somebody else has already raised, and now I re-raise... What happens? I’ll chase people out of the pot. Do I want to chase weak hands out when I’m holding a pair of aces? I’m holding a pair of aces! You only get this 1 out of 221 hands! 221 hands, I get a pair of aces. I don’t get other big hands very often either. I don’t want to chase away my customers. I want them in the pot” - Mike Caro

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this I think is a bit nutty. You have AA, you want to give other hands the opportunity to call with the worst of it. Not raising gives crap hands the opportunity to limp in getting the best of it (or worse, allows the big blind to check getting infinite odds to outdraw your aces!). If you want to squander your aces by giving people the right price to outdraw them, then that's fine. Personally, I think it's much better to offer them a bad price and if they outdraw you on this hand, then they outdraw you, and those are the breaks - but over the long run you'll get the money, which you won't if you never raise with your aces.

...and as far as the "you only get AA once out of every 221 hands!" bit, you only get 8-3 suited once out of every 331.5 hands - that doesnt mean you have to cherish it :P