View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Hunting Rabbits at the Commerce: first trip to LA

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think there are more irregularities in no-limit than in limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, probably as a result of the no limit shown on TV and in a way it is both good and bad.

The good is that most of these new players are very good natured and excited about their poker and it shows in their manner. The bad is that things do at times spin a bit out of control; that said, usually the worse the etiquette the better the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

The incident I described above was most unusual in that rarely is it my way to get in a quarrel, but on this occasion it was very much over the line and the player in seat 9 was very much into getting under peoples skin and has shown on many occasions his utter disregard for what is fair (I've played with him before and am acquainted with his antics). I forget the exact board and hand but seats 9's cards (that he chose to show to seat 3 and fold) were of great importance. Had they only been known to one party it would have been a great wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
In my normal limit game, there isn't much rabbit-hunting and what there is is usually good-natured.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my experience also which is why I care so little about it. At the Bike controlling rabbit hunting somehow became somewhat of a major project about a year ago. For example, on every shuffle machine a sticker was affixed proclaiming:

"No abuse.
English only.
No rabbit hunting."

My guess is we both would agree that controlling abuse is quite noble.

How and to what degree controlling the use of languages other than English at the table in multi-cultural LA would be a subject of a long thread or essay. My views have softened, let it suffice to say that I would like to see it controlled within reason while the hand is in play while not offending the perpetrators.

By putting the admonition not to rabbit hunt at the same level as the other two diminishes the others, as I would think most players who understand what makes a good game also understand that rabbit hunting does little harm.

[ QUOTE ]
When I play in Las Vegas,there's much more speculation about a player's hand while the hand is still in play than I hear in L.A., at least in my game. Usually it'll be multi-way and when somebody check-raises, the first guy to act after the check-raiser says something like "I can't beat your set, nice hand, I'm folding my Ace." Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just the local Las Vegas nit culture we all love to run over on our visits. Years ago when I could visit the land of sin I've made plays that raise eyebrows but barely are noticed here. Yet Clarkmeister thinks I'm a nit. Damn him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

In proofing I just noted a sort of weird tone/style in my response to your post - perhaps it's because I just woke from a short but lovely nap on the porch, lulled to sleep reading the intoxicating adventures of Patrick O'Brien's heroes Aubrey and Maturin.

I'm still six books behind Hero though.

Regards,

Rick