View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: did i play this wrong/make the wrong move here?

hello alexd [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

honestly, your problems did start PF. because of your raise, you were 'forced' to bet an exorborant amount on the flop (too much actually). your lead out on the flop is fine IMO (almost necessary to gain some info to entertain the idea of playing this hand past the flop) - as your 6's are likely the best hand. but you probably should have aimed a little closer to 3/4 pot IMO.

[for the record IN THIS POT - i slap myself for raising pre-flop and check/fold]

rewind:

you limp pre-flop (remember that next time). 4 - heck, we'll say even 5 now without the PF raise, see the flop. pot=T100 vs. T310.

bad news: 5 limpers (example), two hearts, an over to your 7.
good news: likely still holding the best hand, inside straight draw.

you bet out T80 (this could be argued with the number players, but if you proceed under the premise that this is a favorable flop, it's the right thing to do IMO). depending on the raise amount, # of callers, etc. you could then make a decision about the price to see the turn....or you could fold and only be out T100 (vs. T385).

with the small/mid pairs, it's all about getting to the flop as cheaply as possible. when the flop is semi-favorable, you will be in a chip position to lead out and evaluate the action that follows. all of this is MUCH harder to do, and a lot more costly when YOU built the PF pot to T310. granted with the all of the flop action on this flop, it might be difficult to determine all of your 'true' outs, pot odds, etc.etc. but i think you'll find your decision less clouded when you don't see 1/3 of your stack in the middle --- no reason for it to be this way. your "eh, 3xBB PFr sounds about right" had profound influence on your post flop decisions.