View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 01:15 PM

Default chickychickychickychicky

The U.S. will do nothing about North Korea, beyond the application of diplomatic pressure.

"Let's see if Kim Jong-il makes a similar idiotic mistake soon [and makes a provocative public proclamation]. He's getting pretty close to it."

North Korea has no territorial issue to contest with the South, as is the case with Kashmir that riles India & Pakistan. But the inflammatory talk is there! I haven't made a web search but I would speculate that Kim has made and continues to make threatening and disparaging statements about the United States. I'm sure that those numerous military or civilian parades are good occasions for such speeches. At the very least Pyong Yang Radio must be a Moscow Radio 1950s Oldies But Goodies Extravaganza.

But, if it's true that the North Koreans are mouthing off, now the U.S. should go to war on the basis of provocative or inflammatory statements??! Oh, boy.

"So you are claiming that Nasser and Aref's words were just for show?"

The reality in the Arab camp before (and especially after) the 6-Day War was very different, almost the opposite of what public postures were indicating. Practically every party was lying; briefly stated, after the war, Israel declared it wanted peace and the Arabs revenge; in reality, they both wanted the opposite of what they said they wanted. The political faction in Israel that wanted to transform the military gains into political accomodation with the Arabs was shoved aside; the Arab governments started sending earnest but very secret feelers for peace and a settlement of the Palestinian issue. The diplomatic archives demonstrate as much. (Keep searching eBay.)

"I meant Iraq, not Syria. Iraq was moving forces towards the border too."

What border? Iraq never had no borders with Israel. What are you talking about?