View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Roy West\'s book: He doesn\'t like two small pairs versus an overpair

Adam and ElToasto are right, of course: Just throw those hands away and you won’t be in that situation very often.
Nevertheless, I think there are two good reasons to take a closer look at this situation:

• Some of your opponents play these hands all the time; so while you won’t be playing a hand like 5252 very often, you will be playing against it all the time.
• It is sometimes correct to play a small or medium pair (and in that case you might have to deal with playing to small pairs).
There’s an example in 7CSFAP that has you playing 5h5d6d against a pair of aces if one ace and one of the aces kicker are dead; and they don’t tell you to throw this hand away on 4th if you pair your door [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]*. So obviously you have to consider how live your cards are and how live your opponents cards are.
And there’s a lot more to think about: extra outs; whether your opponent might be stealing; how well he plays; positional advantage; the size of the pot; etc.

*This just struck me: Some opponents will frequently continue when you pair your door and will also play very aggressively. Although this is nice if you have trips, I think this may be a spot were you would want to throw away your two small pairs. Here’s an example:
Suppose you are the bring-in with 5h5d6d. Everybody folds except for the guy to your right, who raises with a king up. All your cards are live, so you call and pair your door on 4th. Your opponent catches a live ace. You bet the maximum since he probably was stealing anyway, but he calls. Now what do you do on 5th? Lets say this player is fully capable of raising you as a bluff with only one higher pair or even nothing. And he is going to have position on you for the entire hand (unless he catches a pair on board, but then you anyway have to fold). On the other hand, the pot is already pretty large (3.5 big bets), so folding is pretty terrible…
So maybe you should check-fold on 4th?! Or fold on 3rd?
Oh well, I don’t know what I was trying to say, really. Except that position is important, and your opponent makes a difference. Any thoughts?