Thread: God is Love
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 04:26 PM

Default To sum it all up

I think we've both said all we've wanted to say. This is just my "sum it all up" post, and you're welcome to respond to it as well as sum up your views in a final post, but I will not respond unless you specifically request me to.

First off, thank you for remaining cordial and willing to respond throughout, as well as listening to a few of my requests along the way. I really appreciate it and it is a far cry from how some discussions on this topic turn out.

Throughout the series of posts, I have sought to demonstrate that the Christian worldview is rationally self-consistant and your worldview is not.

It basically began with some questions you asked me:

"Why is it that you are unmoved by potential destruction of billions of lives? Do you not value human life? "

Out of this we explored why I value human life and why you value human life. My view, being founded upon the Bible, has been consistant with the rest of Scripture, whereas your view degrades down into "personal opinion" based off of "observations." You also made appeals to popular opinion but have been unable to demonstrate at any point how one could know popular opinion without resorting to arbitrary tautoulogys like "popular opinion is represented in laws, and laws are representitive of popular opinion." Later on you also disowned popular opinion as a grounding for how one could judge right versus wrong because in your view there was no absolute right or wrong. This leaves you without a leg to stand on when you question me as to "why don't you value human life" because you no longer can make an implied "it's bad to not value human life" statement.

You are left with the statement "according to me Nazis were wrong, but that may not be true according to everyone" with a conclusion that "therefore there is no measuring stick to measure up Nazi Germany against to judge them right or wrong."

I on the other hand will opening state that God is our measuring stick against which we can judge Nazi Germany against, and Nazi Germany is found clearly wanting and thus is wrong in the absolute and moral stance.

We also got into a discussion of knowledge. You began by saying that our knowledge is growing exponentially. I challenged you on point after point and you eventually retreated back into "my observations are reliable" which after I challenged you again on that, you were unable to justify or provide a rational explanation for why that is true. This leads you unable to give any conclusive logical reasoning for almost anything since you cannot start from true premises since your implied premise is always "my observations are reliable".

I thus have demonstrated that your worldview is at it's roots irrational and unjustifiable. You borrow from my worldview in making judgements about knowledge, about violence, murder, death, love, all of which your worldview cannot give support for.

I urge you therefore to cast of irrationality and seek shelter under Christ, the divine Logos, from which Logic flows. Without Him (or assuming Him) you are unable to prove anything. Your logic, founded upon an unjustifiable premise leads nowhere conclusive. I ask you to repent of your sin of idolotry, setting yourself up as God, and acknowledge your Creator, for by Him and through Him you have meaning and purpose.

"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life"

He calls you and offers eternal life. If you find yourself desperate for meaning, rationality, and security then cling onto Him, call to Him, repent, and He has promised that He will deliver you.