View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Skill required in SnGs?

[ QUOTE ]
Greetings!

I at times here a lot of cashgamers claim that single-table tourneys are un-advanced poker. That it's simple thought and that there's nothing fancy to it.

I've never laid much attention to those statements since I personally feel that there IS a lot of skill involved with becoming a succesfull and winning 1-table tourney player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, they're wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
HAS to be very mechanic and ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the word 'disciplined' rather than mechanic. Both discipline and ABC poker require a great amount of skill. Not to mention Tournament Theory--which is an enormous part of SNG play, and requires a lot of skill to master.

[ QUOTE ]
* What is your stance about the "1-table SnGs are skilless" matter? Which requires more finess and skill, SnGs or CGs? Or is there little or no difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep stack NLHE MTT's are the most complicated and skill important card game in the world. STT's, with the shallower stacks, add more of a luck factor. But, as in all matters of statistics and sample size, I believe that skill is shown (perhaps in equal amounts) as much in Party 1000 chip SNG's as cash games.

[ QUOTE ]
* Is it still possible to 8-table or even 4-table $215 SnGs? At what lvl do you need that read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly not there yet. But it's absolutely possible. See: Raptor, curtains, et al.

[ QUOTE ]
* Do you think you can make as much money doing one-table SnGs as with cashgames of the same lvl?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can make an equivalent amount--if not more--AND reduce your variance.