View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Whats the point of investing when Buffett will do it for you?

[ QUOTE ]
for that reqson a much better investment would be to short berk and buy his major holdings.
or if you like his picks just buy his major holdings. which is what you should do if you like a mutual fund. just buy what they are holding less the stocks that are in fashion, as mutual funds must buy them to attract new customers at the expence of those that trust them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I shorted BRK and bought shares in See's Candies, FlightSafety, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and the rest of them: Berkshire subs

Sorry for the sarcasm, but most of Berkshire's value comes from the companies that Berkshire owns completely and that aren't traded on public exchanges. It may have been the case that Berkshire looked a lot like a mutual fund 20 years ago, but it couldn't be further from the truth now.

To the original poster: the fact that you think this is a good strategy without thinking about the price/value proposition of the current share price makes me think you should just invest in an index fund. To make it explicit, would you feel equally strong about this strategy if BRKB was at $4,500 rather than $2,800?

If I could give Buffett all of my money and have him manage it for a 2% annual fee, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that's not at all what you're getting when you buy Berkshire.

I don't mean to sound negative towards Berkshire, because I own some B shares, but if you're going to buy shares, it should be for the right reasons.