View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 AM

Default yet another Tunica trip report

I'm in Memphis visiting the folks for the weekend, and I had a few hours free today, so I snuck down to Tunica for a few hours.

Traffic is surprisingly light. Arrived at the Grand around 1:00. Two tables of 7.5/15, three or four 4/8 tables, and a 2-10 stud game running. I get seating at the must-move pink chip table within about five minutes. As another poster noted, the Grand is only raking max $2/hand on the pink chip game this weekend, and someone pointed out that this was likely to attract rocks and nits, but I didn't see any.

First hand, I get AT in the cutoff, flop KQx, and I catch the J on the turn. I don't think I played another hand outside of the blinds until the game broke at 2:00 when the 80+20 tournament started. Enough people dropped out of the main game that I got a seat over there within about ten minutes.

After a few people busted out of the tourney they got a 2/5 NL game going (buyin capped at $500), and a few more 4/8 games, but a second 7.5/15 game never got going.

Grand is running a promotion this month, any quads or better gets $50 (both cards have to play). Two guys flop quads within three hands of each other, and a third guy hits quads (three of his rank on board) a couple of hands later, but his kicker didn't play.

I'm up and down all day, never really getting a sustained run of good cards. Some WPT-wannabe punk wearing a soviet hockey jersey limp-reraises me while we're shorthanded. He busts out about thirty minutes later. Commie. There's a fat guy in the 1 seat who's playing literally any two cards, and getting hit in the face with the deck. He's cold-calling PF raises with junk, any ace, any two suited, etc, and rivering straights, flushes and boats like there's no tomorrow. He stacks up a mountain of chips but dumps most of his profit before finally leaving. Unfortunately I couldn't catch anything while he was in distribution mode.

I'm down about $100 or so when I pick up AA UTG+2. UTG+1 raises, and I'm slightly reluctant to raise right behind him - there are tons of people that will cold call two bets but three bets generally runs everyone off. My inner Sklansky tells me to reraise, but I coldcall. MP1 makes it three, fatboy in MP2 coldcalls three bets, and the button calls three. UTG+1 calls, I reraise to four bets, MP1 caps, EVERYBODY calls. That's right, I get five-way capped action for my AA. 25 small bets, and I'm about to spooge in my pants.

Flop comes 973 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, button folds, UTG+1 calls, I three-bet, MP1 four-bets, MP2 folds, UTG+1 calls, I cap, all call. Three players. 22.5 big bets.

Turn is a blank. UTG+1 checks, I bet, MP1 raises, UTG+1 folds, I raise, MP1 raises all in for 1 chip more. I call, I'm expecting to chop, but he flips over JJ. River pairs the 3, MHIG.

The rest of the day is largely uneventful for me. I wolf down a couple of hotdogs, and they're much better than I remember. I finally pack it in around 7:00, up a good bit but down significantly from my high point for the day, and make it back to Memphis just before dark.