View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: PTO autorate poll

I have experimented with two rule sets, which I think are helpful. The first used VPIP WSD and WSF, the other used VPIP, WSD and Total Aggression. I play PL O8.

I found WSF useful for evaluating how successful a post flop player was, but ultimately I think Aggression was a better indicater of style of play.

Some very obvious observations, regardless of looseness or tightness, aggression is an extremely important component of success. Of course, for those unfamiliar with Pokertracker, it should be noted that folding is an important part of aggression.

It is interesting to note that players with high WSD's stats fare well regardless of how many flops they see.

I use <28%, 28-43%, and >43% as my VPIP dividers for PL
60% for WSD (except for tight players it is 62.5%)
and 1.25 for aggression. That makes 12 catagories. I also have a maniac catagory for 3+ aggression, and a throwaway vanilla player catagory which probably serves no purpose.
I think theses catagories give a pretty good idea of what you are up against, and they divide the players fairly evenly by percentages.

That being said, I think you should ALWAYS pay attention to how experienced a player you are up against, and their overall winning. If you analyze the statistics, one of the things that will stick out in PLO8 is that while you can win with many different stles of VPIP (with decent aggression) experienced players do markedly better, to the point that even the players that see 43%+ flops are winners overall if they have over 100 hands of history. What I take from this is that a very healthy percentage of the profit from PLO8 comes from inexperienced players. If you get a table of experienced players regardless of style, you are probably in for a grind.

The one stat which you should NOT overlook