View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds Question

Pot odds arn't particularly important. That is important is implied odds and they can be either larger or smaller than the pot odds. I recommend reading THFAP section on implied odds, or look in my profile for a thread with something like "Odds needed to call gutshot" for a very informative discussion (thnaks Homer). If you are just starting out trying to use odds I recommend using the pot odds to decide whether or not you have the odds needed TO WIN ON THE NEXT CARD ONLY. The rule of thumb odds I start with are four flush 4:1, oesd 5:1, two overcards 7:1, gut-shot 11:1. These are the most important.

The reason why you should only consider the odds your given to win on the next card is consider what happens if you miss. In your example the pot is now 1800. Since your opponent has been aggressive, it is quite likely he will bet the pot again. Therefore on the flop you need to realize it will probably cost you 2400 to get to the river. That's why you need more than 1.86 to 1.

Quick comment on implied odds. On the flop if you are heads up you can subtract around 3 small bets from these odds (see referenced thread for why). If it is a multi-way pot and there are people behind you yet to act you need better odds because one of them may raise ruining your pot odds (this is sometimes called reverse implied odds)