View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Nut flush pairs board on river

[ QUOTE ]
I'm first to act and am unsure on how to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check and call.

Playing the nut flush when this board pairs on the river is a bit like playing the worst full house (here deuces over tens).

There are a whole bunch of possible better hands and they are yet to act behind you.

Anyone behind you with a full house will probably bet it - and in that case you will lose one big bet by playing as recommended.

You call because anyone behind you without a full house might try to steal it or might think they have the best hand (possibly with trip deuces). In that case, playing as recommended will win the pot for you and also will win one extra big bet from a would be thief.

Often when playing Omaha-8 you can play offensively and make someone else defend. Here, fate has put you in a position where the best course of action is to simply take a defensive position yourself. It's not a great place to be, but it's the place where you are.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet if I check, will I be able to profit when a worse hand bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That's why you check and call.

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling it will get checked around whenever I hold the best hand, but I'll be calling with a loser the majority of the time that someone else bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That is what will probably happen.
But if you bet, the only one who will call probably has a better hand than you (and may raise).

Someone might think the thing to do is bet and then fold to any raise - but unless this is the very last hand you're ever going to play against these opponents, I wouldn't advise doing that. (Because I think you reduce the chances of various other options working for you on later hands).

Just my opinion.

Buzz