View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: How do you handle cold cards/downswings?

One thing to realize is that there is no such thing as "being in the middle of a downswing".
All you can know for sure is that you have had a downswing up til now. Just keep playing your best game and you will be up again. (if you are in fact a winning player)

I had a 100BB downswing last week and it made me want to puke. To make matters worse it was only a week after I stepped up to 2/4 so it felt like A LOT of money to me. In the end I almost hated seeing AK, QQ or other premium hands because they "never" held up, or made very little money when they did.
But things turn around and sooner or later you will get hot decked or at least normal.

Also try to pay attention to your pot/implied-odds estimations. I believe that one of my major leaks was not to discount draws when I held middle or bottom pair enough, and also that I bet AK and the likes too hard when they missed the flop. I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that several of my opponents would call me down with mottom or middle pair.