View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Preflop play like a master!

Your preflop numbers seem WAY too low for a 2/4 table.

If you use the "Loose Games" chart from SSHE page 82 exactly, with no raises your early-position and middle-position VPIP would be about 16.41%, and your late-position VPIP would be about 24.85%, and from the small blind, your VPIP would be about 35.65%. Raises will only alter these numbers if they happen before you act; in my database, the average player raises preflop less than 6% of the time, and when raised SSHE's suggestions will reduce your VPIP about 1/3. I did the math, and it looks like following SSHE perfectly and never trying a blind steal you'd get a VPIP of 16%.

Are you playing at particularly aggressive tables? If your tables have more preflop raises than normal, this could reduce the number of hands you'd pay to see.

If this really bothers you, look over your history by position. When you have a hand that SSHE says you should play, do you actually play it?

As to boosting your VPIP, I suggest more steal attempts (this won't make a huge difference, but bumping up from 23% to 30% would be profitable for you), more isolation raises against loose preflop raisers, and more blind defense. If your average opponent's PFR is higher than 6%, I also suggest finding more passive tables.