View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: JJ in late position Hand Help

1) I don't like reraising w/ JJ preflop. It's not that stellar of a hand anyway, especially against a strong early raiser. If you knew him to raise with junk, then reraise.

2) Against a strong player who raises strong preflop, I'm usually folding JJ in late position. If there is a caller or two, or I suspect the raiser will gladly raise w/ AT or less or 99 or less, then I'll throw in a call. You don't really lose much by just ditching it every time to an early raiser. If the pot is multiway, it may be a different story since you may bust a player with a big pair or something if you flop a set to the hand.

3) Once you call and see this flop out of position, I really prefer to bet this flop and see where you are in the hand. It's probably your only and cheapest way to win the pot. If you were not planning on betting this kind of flop, you should not have called to begin with preflop. If I bet and get raised, I fold. If I get called, I'm probably shutting down on the turn.

4) Checking the flop isn't that bad if you are a solid and aggressive player. There is no need to push though, as you have almost no hope of driving out the hands that you're worried about. If he's prone to make a continuation bet when he misses the flop, check and raise him to $10,000 straight - this accomplishes the same goal as check-push: A hand like AK or TT will drop the hand and you extracted an extra bet; A hand that beast you will call or push and you can get away from the hand with $21,800 left instead of $7,000 which is too little to be competative.

The check-push really makes no sense unless he will raise early with KQ or QJ (which did occur) and will ditch the hand to such a play. He's clearly a weak player and you should have recognized this. Don't try this type of play unless you are almost certain it will work. The risk-reward ratio simply sux.