View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Star Wars Episode 7

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may be thinking of Chewbacca. Chewie died saving Han and Leia's son, thus fufilling the life debt he's owed to Han for so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, my memory is good.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...e/jump/3191250

The original tale he mapped out didn't feature Ewoks or a second Death Star, and it culminated with the death of Han Solo. Princess Leia parts ways with Luke to lead those who survived her home planet's destruction.

Your post was a very interesting story though. Even though my source contradicts what you say, I think I'm going to trust your sources much more then mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory may be good but you're not paying attention to what people are posting about. The poster you originally responded to (CallMeIshmael) and I are talking about the events in the Expanded Universe novels. You linked some article which discusses treatments George Lucas wrote in the '70s and later abandoned.

In the EU (expanded universe), Chewbacca dies about twenty years after the events of Return of the Jedi saving Han and Leia's son (Anakin Solo, I believe). Han is still kicking.

I've read a little about the treatments Lucas wrote up. The reason Return of the Jedi has another Death Star and ewoks is because that's how he originally intended to end Star Wars. But, in his first film, he didn't have the resources to create the large space battle we saw in RotJ. The ewoks would have been wookies. So, when RotJ was made, Lucas just made them short instead of tall. Lucas wanted a primnitive society to play a key role in defeating the Empire. Wookies weren't an option since Chewbacca was shown to be remarkably intelligent.