Thread: High-Low Books
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: voice of dissent

Well, if you need to be spoon-fed, then no, Ray Zee's book isn't for you. Poker probably isn't for you, either. No, there aren't hand rankings like there are in HP4AP. For one thing, there are too many possible combinations. For another, it really isn't necessary or desirable. You want hands that are highly coordinated and can make the nuts. It does say that in there, doesn't it? A2 is a nice combination to have, but it doesn't make a hand automatically playable. He says that too, doesn't he?

What does it matter what the second-best hand in Omaha/8 is anyway? It might be A234 or AA24 or AK23 or something else. I don't know, and I don't care--I'm going to play all of those hands in any position for any amount anyway. Does the relative ranking of JJ and AKs affect how you play those? There are no hand rankings in 7CS4AP; does that cheapen the Advanced Series as well?

Ray doesn't spell out what to do with every kind of hand you might get dealt. He does tell you what to consider when deciding whether to play a hand and how to play it. I think that this a superior approach. I've made a decent chunk of change because of Ray's book. Anybody who reads their copy as much as I have mine should do well.