View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Female Intuition (Erin Ness)

[ QUOTE ]

He checked a set of fives in the dark. That's the joke. The fact that my statement didn't make sense is kind of what made it a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

A non-sensical statement does not a joke make, my friend. (This is why "I like ice cream!", in the absence of some sort of very amiable context, is not a joke. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

A better (but pretty sick) joke would have gone something like "Watch out - whenever Erin is on the rag, she's got a hand." Now this is a valid (albeit lame and off the top of my head) joke, since it's clearly absurd - menstruation lasts for several days, during which poker sessions where the menstruator is dealt both good and bad hands can occur.

Or "You can tell when David Williams has a huge hand because he stands up, turns green, tears his shirt off and runs out the nearest window screaming "RAYMER!!". It's probably why he's been on a losing streak as of late."

Both of these, to use VS Ramachandran's explanation of the neurological basis for jokes, "lead a person down the garden path of expectation" and then provide a twist at the end which causes for a completely new and absurd (yet still consistent) reinterpretation of all that had occured before.

See? I can explain what a joke is in a condescending way too! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps if you'd spend more time and thought into the creation of your jokes, we wouldn't have to have this discussion. Now run along and play. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]