View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: how often do you do this? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
But I rarely lead into pfrs, but have felt annoyed lately by a lot of poeple doing it to me. Maybe the muppets are unwittingly on to something that I should get into too?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you are annoyed. You hoped to bet the flop and be handed the pot. Now you know that can't happen.

But were you damaged by his flop bet? The preexisting reality is that this player likes his hand enough to fight for the pot. That would be true regardless of whether he expressed this belief by betting, checkcalling, or checkraising. All the bet has really done is dispelled your happy dream.

If Button opened J9 and got your Q73 flop, the BB's bet is a real break. Now Button can just fold, secure in the knowledge that he has no hand, no draw, and no bluff equity. Much better than throwing chips into a black hole by autobetting the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
its more likely that I get the initiative taken away (i.e. my oppoent raises my flop bet, perhaps even with worse hands), leaving me out of control with A rag high.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may think you are in control after you bet the flop and Button just calls. However I see strings attached to your limbs. You are more or less obligated to bet the turn without any idea what is going to happen. Villain is the one with the freedom to play the turn any way he likes.

Summary: If you bet the flop with A-high and he raises you have a problem. If he calls you have a problem. If he folds he just saved himself some money.

And why should any of this be surprising? Against a typical opponent who will autobet the flop, your flop bet is a de facto bet out of turn. Button knows that he was going to bet and you would have the option to call. He now has the option of just calling and reproducing that situation, in which case you have gained nothing by your bet, or he can try for a better result by raising or folding. So unless you think he is going to outsmart himself and make a mistake, betting cannot ever accomplish anything.

This is all assuming that you trust that this Button will autobet the flop.