View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Here I Am

First I want to say that I have read all the replies and you guys sure are a lot smarter than the posters on the Psychology or WPT forums.

Here are some points:

1. Anything I say about this is without the use of computer simulations. Thus they may be off a little.

2. The reason HPFAP was written was simple. To make me money. The more people who win the more I make. If a piece of advice increases the best players EV by 3% while causing others to become losers, you probably ain't gonna read it in one of my books.

3. I said you should play 73 suited three handed and gave some mathematical justifications. I wouldn't be surprised if any two suited can be played.

4. It is the unsuited hands like Q5 that you will never see me recommending to the general reader. Because unlike suited hands, how it will do depends so much on how well you play and the skill and STYLE of your opponent.

5. As many have pointed out there are a whole slew of hands that are real close. Taken in a vacuum your EV is almost unaffected by your decision. When faced with these hands you need to consider five things.

A. Does volatility matter?

B. How well do you play?

C. What are his preflop raising requirements.?

D. How well and what style does he play post flop.

E. Will it be to your advantage or disadvantage for future hands if people see that you defend your blind a lot? (It can be to your disadvantage if it disrupts a tight image that helps you get away with bluffs.)

The answers to these questions can account for differences about whether to play at least twenty per cent of the hands.

I will revisit this thread later.