View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Could I have gone broke differently?

Many players over-play the tens. It really depends on who you ask, but a fair number of experts advocate for a limp or an occasional raise w/ TT early in a tourney. You're acting out of position if you get called and more likely than not at least one overcard flops. That did not happen here - you got almost the perfect flop. The fact is, that does not make your hand invincable. Unless this player is passive or foolish, the only possible hand he could have is a bigger pocket pair than yours. Think about it: Say he's smooth calling pre-flop with AA-77, AK and AQ. Only an idiot would flat call on the flop w/ AK or AQ. If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you would have to be very passive to simply flat call in this spot since it looks like the flop missed you and you're simply taking a shot at it. Besides, 2 OC's and a draw to the nuts makes him the favorite on the flop over QQ-99. Moreover, if he had 77 or 99, he surely would have raised. Frankly, I'm surprised that he flat called with JJ in this spot - I certainly would have raised with JJ or QQ since they are vulnerable. Therefore, the only hands that I would put a flat caller on in this spot are AA,KK,88, which all beat you by far. Here had JJ - still beats you but it's not far off from my analysis. Once he flat calls on the flop, alarm bells DEFINATELY are going off in my head and I'm quite certainly shutting down at this point. In fact, I would check and fold to ANY bet on 4th or 5th street.