Thread: Goofy Games
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Goofy Games

The post wasn't really about me. It was about those players who Barry Greensein feels don't get enough respect compared to the famous tournament players. But as you said, that is the real world. Interestingly another group who gets short shrift are side game no limit experts. They would beat both the tournament champs and the 4K-8K mixed game players playing big stack no limit. Since the public adores the no limit champs it is ironic that most of the real champs are completely unknown to them.

Anyway my point was analogous to what a 5' 10" great athlete and very good basketball player who didn't quite make the NBA might say. Namely that almost all of the players over 6'7" are where they are today because the specific rules of the game happen to work to their advantage; and to his disadvantage in spite of lessor all around skills.

To those who say that bringing in New York Style home games into the poker mix would not reshuffle things at the top, I say you are simply wrong. The mega game champs would become excellent at the new games to be sure. But almost all would fall into Barry's dreaded second tier or below.