View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain 2/5 limit hold\'em in Colorado for me

It is true that you basically can't fold post-flop in a 5-5 game with any kind of hand, as the drawing odds are huge. However, your opponents can 1) be drawing dead when they call post-flop, 2) overplay their made hands (i.e. cap a K high flush on the river against the nut flush), and 3) play a hand in an over-all negative EV manner when they are still correctly calling post-flop, as in the case when they go 6 bets pre-flop with suited garbage, then catch the odds to draw to a runner-runner flush post-flop. In the third instance your opponents are making a huge EV mistake pre-flop, but once they put the money in the pot it is no longer theirs, so they are playing positive EV poker by chasing post-flop but in essence are only really hoping to re-coup part of the huge error they made pre-flop. Overall it is a losing play, but when veiwed from the post-flop perspective they are playing fairly correctly.

I usually only play Colorado live-action poker for fun on my way back from skiing as the internet is far more profitable and easier to access, and I don't have hundred of hours logged, but I am beating the 5-5 game over about 25 sessions (with LOTS of variance). I know my results are not statistically significant, but I think that one can theoretically establish that the game is beatable in the long run.

Good luck to you, and I hope to see you sometime, preferably at another table from mine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]