View Single Post
Old 04-17-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Was I wrong to play 88 in early position?

First off to answer your subject question... in a game where UTG+1 raises and gets 3 cold callers and the flop is seen 6 handed, this is the perfect game to limp in with 88 UTG.

Now to the way it was played...

You're able to limpin in without needing 8 callers because you're getting "implied odds" meaning you can make up the odds you don't have pre-flop when you hit your set. You didn't quite do that with the post flop play though.

Flop, K83 2 diamonds, you have the 8 of diamonds...

I'd lead at the flop with my set of 8s here hoping UTG+1 raises... you're not gonna lose anyone with a draw here so you can make it 3 when it gets back to you and charge the hell out of them. I'd lead at the turn also with the flush out there, (your 8 high flush draw cannot be good so don't consider it) when UTG +1 raises and everyone just calls I'd make it 3. If he caps I'd check call the river unless I filled...then I'd check-raise him hopefully trapping some people in the middle. With all his chatter he probably had AA with the Ad.

I tend to screw up when I'm out of position here so I'm looking forward to reading other peoples thoughts but I really want to make this hand 3 bets on at least one, hopefully 2 streets.