View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain 2/5 limit hold\'em in Colorado for me

I think the 5/5 games are easier to beat but I admit that the swings are wilder especially if it is an "action game". I mentioned that in an earlier post. Actually what I've seen that has the biggest impact at night (or weekend afternoons) is the size of the bad beat jackpots. When a jackpot gets above 50k, the gamblers come out. They tend to play mainly at the 5/5 tables. I believe the worst players i've seen in CO are the maniac gamblers. They almost only play 5/5. So that's where I like to play. He said he was doing well at 2/4 on-line so I wasn't thinking of him as a beginner. But I must admit CO takes some adjusting that takes some time. When I moved here 3/5 years ago, I started mostly playing 2/5 and getting my ass kicked. You definietly need to adjust. I found the games much harder to beat than low limit games in vegas. At that time I didn't have much live experience, I had mostly read books and played TurboTexas Hold'em, but in three trips to Vegas I won every time. The normal advice didn't seem to apply in CO. I tried 5/5 twice, and both times got in absoluty crazy action games and lost. So for about 1.5 years I just played 2/5 and eventully beat it. Then I moved up to 5/5 and did even better. When the jackpots get above 70k the true lunatics come out. The tables I like best have one or two lunatics and I will do seat changes to get on their left. If you get at a table with 6 or more lunatics I will definitely table change (usually sooner). But you guys seem to have less respect for the 2/5 players than I do. I have never played at a table in CO 2/5 or 5/5(and I've played at a bunch) that is as easy as the average low-limit LV table (up to 8/16). Of course I have played at some low-limit tables in LV that are tougher than the average CO table, but I've never seen a really easy table in CO.