View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Is America Headed For Another Great Depression?

I seriously doubt if a Depression is in our future, however it IS possible.

The thing about the great depression is that it was caused by a series of events that are largely impossible now due to regulations to stop it from happening.

However, there are issues that are alarming, none of which are the fault of ANY particular political party.

First, debt. Not national debt, but the debt of individual citizens. People are not as responsible for their finances as they should be.

Second, credit. If you look at the major causes of the GD credit is certainly one of them. People buying too much on credit (which goes hand in hand with the debt) but also institutions extending too much credit. This is not AS MUCH a concern today, but still is one. More for the fact that people are accumulating too much debt caused by credit.

Third, trade imbalance. I don't believe this was a particular cause of the GD, but it COULD lead to depressive conditions today. The US is the worlds largest trader, but we also have the worlds largest trade deficit. I think that we need to do SOME protecting of our products. Because in doing so we will lower the deficit (trade) somewhat and also protect some jobs. We cannot force business to build here or employ here. All we can do is make it worth their while to do so. If that takes some protectionist tactics, that is fine. However, I am not in favor of imposing anything that is not the equal to that imposed on us. Free trade is fair, we are not a free trade partner with most nations we trade with.