View Single Post
Old 05-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Shadow + Marv = ? or: What is the source of betterness?

[ QUOTE ]
Good questions. Thanks for joining the discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
So, if you are going to be better than someone HU, that is have your $Equity>Chip Equity, you must have to do it when the stacks are more equal in size.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Paul, I'm either not understanding what you're saying or I think you may be mistaken.

If the hero is more skilled than the villian, then the equity of the hero's chips is greater than the hero's chips as a percentage of all chips in play for all levels of the hero's stack between 0 and 100%. In other words, the hero's skill advantage will manifest itself at any stack size and may be more powerful at smaller stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can be a better player when one stack is really small HU, although in a way it is a trivial result. If I only have 50 chips, and the blinds are 100/200 then both me and my opponent are going all in next hand (and the one after that if I win) and there is no possibility to show any skill. If an always push strategy results in %equity=%chips, then for someone to show skill, it has to be at a time when the blinds don't force one player all in HU. Like I said, this is pretty trivial, but if I am following the debate, that would imply that equity relationship is linear at the extremes. This would not depend on any characteristic of the 2 players, as the blinds dictate their strategies. However, I may mis-understand the debate here.

Thanks for the links. I have been playing limit ring games for a few months, but I am pretty new to SnG's so I am still catching up to the rest of the class. I hope folks keep pursuing these things both analytically and empirically. Perhaps there will be some results that help folks play, and it is interesting in its own right anyway.

John Paul