View Single Post
Old 05-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: How to Stop TilT

Gustavo,

I am going to tell you exactly what a great, great player told me about it. When you are able to control or not to go on tilt, you will be a very good, solid winning player. That doesnt come easy. I noticed that my numbers were numbers of winning players, but somehow I was losing. The answer was simple: I started tilting everytime top set got outdrawn by some moron calling with absolutely awfull odds. What my friend told me was that, instead of going crazy because such things, we should be very happy that we have those players around, because sometimes their miracle card will hit, and they will have their bite of our bankroll but MOST of the times, those players will build us great pots. That is a healthy way of seeing things.

If you are tilting because you know you were outplayed or simply because you know you played certain hand badly, that is a more serious case, but I tell you that this help me a lot: Stop playing not for a few hours, but for a few days!! Read a good book. Take 10 days off. Forget about it for a while. Come back and try whatever you learned on the book (s).

I did that. I had my BR at nearly 340 when I started tilting because of an awful downswing. When I stopped, My BR was at 48. I took about three weeks off. After I came back I have taken my BR to more than 850 in bout eight weeks. My winnings are 7.89BB/100 at NL$25 after my return and I have taken a couple badbeat days (lost 125 last wednesday).

My advise is this: Take a break, read and study a good book or a couple. Understand, as someone told u, that bad beats and losing streaks are going to be part of the game. When you feel you are in one, you have two options. 1.- Stand up for the day. 2.- Play tighter, understand your situation, play solid poker and get out of it! By "understand you situation" I mean that you should not be drawing, you should fold more than usual because the fact that you miss your draw will make you feel even worse and get you on tilt. Bad/losing streaks DO EXIST. PLAY OUT OF THEM!! Most of this streaks get longer because we start playing really bad, because of frustration.

I hope this comment is as useful to you as it was from me.

Play to win, Dont tilt!

AlexMR

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]