View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Flopped trips with a weak ace?

Yes, full 9-handed table on Stars.

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to win a small pot if no one has the other ace, or you'll lose big if someone has a better ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm not saying that I have a strong hand here -- in fact, I have one of the most overvalued hands in Texas Hold'em.

The fact remains, though, that I must decide on a line when this flop comes out. Check/fold and c/r are obviously trash here, so I bet.

I like a smaller-than-pot-sized bet, though, and here's why. As we've said, if someone raises, I'll have to fold.(barring an extraordinary read which I obviously don't have) In addition, if an LP player smooth-calls, I'm now playing a larger pot than is necessary, out of position with an iffy hand. A smaller bet on this particular flop should elicit the same responses from other players, without putting as much money in the pot.

With respect to the flush draw, I think there are two kinds of players at this level -- those who will call no matter what on the FD here because they see "infinite implied odds" with the ace paired, or those who will fold to a bet, no matter how small, because the board is paired. (does anyone disagree with this?)

In summary, what do you think of a 1/2 pot or 2/3 pot bet?

-dB