View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Critique my \"Betting Patterns\" article

"Why go to the trouble of defining "Bull" and "Paper Tiger" and then not use these terms in the article? "

great question This actually started with some realizations about poker and the underlying patterns in it. Me and Jeff W. were planning on creating a bot but were to lazy to follow through with it. He wanted to do no limit and abuse tripping on pocket pairs,but I thought that I could sum up limit much easier. That is how I came up with bull and paper tiger. The bot would basically be just 3 modes like this, and saying when one mode should transform into another. The third mode which I did not add in would be when you are on a draw. But you can easily see the transition from "Bull" to "Paper Tiger" as follows: the most substance in writing the bot would be defining the power of each hand and telling the bot when to go from bull mode to paper tiger in which 1 extra more bet would change from calling down to foldoing, I don't want to get into it too much but thought I would explain some. So in reality they did not have much use in the article, more just to show that poker is relatively simple even though many players like to over complixify it^^.

"First and foremost is the number of people in the hand, and the number of people left to act. If you've made a habit out of betting T2o on a board of 89Ts into a field of 8 people, you're gonna lose more than your fair share."

even though the situations you bring up are not very common in the entirety of poker and a "bot" would not lose to much by betting a single small bet into that 8/9/10 However, it is good to bring up but that is where real poker skill and knowledge comes into play. Or rather... common sense.

"Also unaccounted for are hidden outs, table image, coordinatedness of the board, stack sizes, and whether an opponent is tilting. "

This is for multi-tabling behemoths only [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I would rather play fundamentally perfect on 8-12 using any extra energy to do the above things you say, than play 3 tables and tweak, min/max everything perfectly. My way is also much more conducive to not tilting and maintaining discipline which I believe is also worth a ton more than the above stated. But anyway, the article was not to solve poker but rather give a solid foundation for players to start from.