View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Sweating a Friend, he makes this fold. Opinions?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread really makes my head hurt. If so many people here aren't convinced calling is right, then I'm pushing everytime a SB raises my BB on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case calling would be completely correct, because it would be an entirely different situation than playing against a relative unknown labeled as tight. Why is this so hard to grasp?

What makes my head hurt is how few people are actually trying to give real arguments instead of ranting about how sucky everyone else is. But please tell me more about the calls that win tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you will instintively know that I have changed gears on the bubble, as opposed to me playing tight, which I probably have up until that point? I never said that I'd push everytime the SB raised my BB, I said on the bubble, which lasts no more than 15 hands.

Not to say I think calling is -EV at all (against a good opponent's hand range, you should be a very large favorite) but pros like Daniel Negreanu have stated that they make what could be a -EV play on one hand to build a huge stack that they can use to bully the table later, I think its called an inflection point, and will be discussed in HOH2. Also, I dont think you should be raising if you are going to fold to a reraise, you are essentially saying that the only value TT has here is as a steal, which makes it no different than 27o. If calling here really won't let you sleep at night, then go for a limp/reraise (unless you think that he's only raising with AA and KK, I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought that considering how this discussion has gone).

As for your point that all the call advocates is done is say you're wrong. I have shown the range of hands that he would have (in my opinion) and your equity against them. Along with the range of hands that he would need to have in order to make this a coinflip (which, along with the dead chips in the pot would still make this a call). I have not seen any post that can even slightly justify a fold. Every post is "its the bubble, he's probably playing tight." Remember, this tournament is not a $5 tournament, its a $55+rebuys, people aren't merely thinking on the first level of "I want to make the money, I'm a genius for folding everything except AA." They are thinking "Its the bubble, at a short handed table, the SB is probably stealing here with just about any 2 cards, I have tremendous folding equity if I push, and even if he calls, I have A6s, which is pretty good 5 handed."