View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Sweating a Friend, he makes this fold. Opinions?

Hmmm; not sure who you're replying to, as I don't remember using that quote anywhere in the thread and at least not in the linked post.

I think the TT decision here can be a very close one. SoBe didn't really give us much information to work with about the table image of the Hero, which is essential to trying to put BB on any kind of range. And I think many of the people here are responding on the basis of what they would do in this situation assuming they had gotten to this point through the use of their particular steal-heavy style. But that style is not necessarily Hero's style.

My main point is that one of the mantras of tournament play is that it's a great idea to go on the offensive come bubble time because the average player heavily tightens up and you can steal much easier. People are then assuming that BB is a LAGgy 2+2'er style player who is going to employ second or third level thinking and realize that this would be prime time for a resteal. This is possible, but why assume it's the default? Why not assume that this player holds to the conventional wisdom of staying tight at the bubble against the stacks that can bust you? In fact, the BB has been specifically marked as "pretty tight," which is the ONLY thing we know about him. Is he good? Bad? I don't expect mediocre "pretty tight" players to come over me with garbage here, or even with middling hands, particularly when he's still got plenty of FE with his stack at the moment.

Also, nobody (myself included) has done a shred of math to establish whether you should take TT vs. AK style confrontations if they are offered. Given that this seems like a pure math problem, it seems like a deficiency in the conversation.