View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Is there any reason to open limp UTG?

i was taking a look around chris ferguson's page the other day and he advocated exactly what you're saying.

in his 'tips' section he flat out says never limp, period. if a hand is good enough to play at all it should be good enough to raise with, and if it isn't good enough to raise then you should just muck it. i thought that was pretty interesting, as i've had similar thoughts from time to time. in my home game everyone wants to see every flop for nothing..... at one point i decided i would start charging admission on every hand i played. it worked pretty well in that situation, but i'm not sure it would work against more sophisticated players.

lots of good players have success seeing flops cheap and taking the lead if they hit, or if they know no one else hit. daniel n. comes to mind. i see the benefits of this style as well. it's hard to handle... kind of like a passive-aggressive mother-in-law.

i think the first strategy is more applicable to tourney games(my preference), and the second is more useful in a ring game.