View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Why you never slow play aces.

I'm not crazy about the result-oriented-accounting-method, but one can of course have a discussion while knowing what cards are to come. It just won't be very useful for figuring the right play.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

Perhaps the player with 33 would have folded, but it's ok to play for sets out of position. It is much more important to have good position with a suited connector or a hand that often makes one high pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is true. Position is not as important when playing for set value. It still matters though, but my point is that unless hero can put villain on AA-QQ everytime he makes a raise preflop, calling 10% of stack for set value way out of position is no good. He will just fold his unimproved AK (or K10 for that matter) when you start showing aggression on a J73 flop.

And if I'm hero in SB on 33 I will often reraise a loose button raiser, obviously planning to fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is a bad line against players who call too much, particularly compared with playing for set value. Too frequently, you end up out of position with a weak hand and a large chunk of your stack in the pot, and you fold with the odds to call when your opponent pushes with AK. You are also not last to act.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't expect it to be a +EV play in itself, but I expect him to lay off my blinds. I can't play 10% of my stack for set value if he raises 20% of his button hands. Not 5% either for that matter. (I don't know if villain in this hand is a loose button raiser of course.)

I'm not saying a preflop raise would change the outcome every time, but I'm saying it could.