View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Ethics, what do I do here (Semi-Poker Related) HELP

[ QUOTE ]
really does depend on the type of person you are and the type of company you keep.

personally i can trust 95% of my friends with money if they ever need it because i know what type of person they are..

I don't think i would ever lend someone money if i thought they were never going to pay me back.

they need to learn to pay their own way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of situation, I believe, where you don't know what kind of person they are until you're really in the situation for real.

Kind of like a divorce. Nobody thinks when they're getting married that a break-up could possibly be bitter, petty, hateful, vengeful, or have two seemingly reasonable people both trying to convince their children that the other parent doesn't love them, or screw them up for life by trying to convince them that the other parent maybe even sexually abused them. Who would ever get married to a person they thought capable of any of that? Who would ever think it possible of themselves? Not a chance in hell. No way.

You'd have to be out of your mind to think such a thing possible -- and, most importantly, ESPECIALLY with you, and with the people YOU love. You know, the exceptions that stand out from everybody else in the world and are somehow different.

Yet...things like that happen all the time. There's nothing remotely exceptional about most of it. You might even say it's surprising when people don't get mean, petty, and vengeful toward each other in divorces.

According to your logic, how could that be? But it is.

Don't think a friend could never screw you over on borrowed money until you've loaned him money a few times. A loan is a loss until proven different.