View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: empirical equity study

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry. I walked in late and I need a clarification. Why do you argue in this thread that your data points within the same tournament can be treated as independent trials,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I did. From thew few posts I re-read, I asked a question, and then the thread went sideways about something else and we never resolved it.

[ QUOTE ]

in The Shadow's recent thread, you seem to make the opposite argument?

[ QUOTE ]
Intuitively I agree that only one data point is permissible on independence of observations grounds. I'm not sure how to prove it, but I'm not sure that it needs proving.

[/ QUOTE ]

This case is four-handed, so there is a chip distribution, and the other is two-handed, so only your chip count is variable. Is that it? If so can you explain why?

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth is I'm not certain which methodology is better: use all the data points or use one.

Certainly using one is "safer" as it removes the independence question, but it severely compounds the sample size problem.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like jcm gave a compelling argument that multiple points from the same tournament violates the necessary condition that observations be independent of each other. I have only basic training in statistics, but it seems to me that since having X chip distribution necessarily leads to a distribution of the number of observations of finish A that is different than Y chip distribution, then without removing this effect from ther results, they are not independent. I know that's nothing new but I guess I cast my vote on the side of one point per tournament.

Slim