View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Quitting While Ahead

I think one thing people are overlooking is the psychological aspect of being up or down. Sure poker is one open ended session, we all know that. But we also know we play different poker when we're winning or losing. Putting a predetermined ceiling or floor or your wins/loses isn't that bad of an idea.

What I think you should do though is keep moving it. If you're playing .5/1 and you find you stop playing optimally when you're up 25 bucks, then by all means stop after you hit that level. But only do that this week. Next week move it up to 30. Then 35. Keep the level going up so you stay aggressive and have a goal to hit.

Likewise, if you're losing big you're going to be a little gun shy. This won't help your stack at all. You'll play more passive poker and end up probably losing more.

So yeah, go ahead and set a limit for yourself. Sure it's not what the pros do, but then again they don't play .5/1. As you advance you'll start to see that it is one big session and you won't be as influenced by your win/losses in this one.

Just my two cents.