View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Re: With a Little Help From My Friend?

Thanks Punker for the input.

"I turn over my cards, no matter whether I say ace high or state the pledge of allegiance, I expect to be awarded the pot if I have the best hand."

That's a great line Punker.

"You are worried the floor will come over and hear "He showed his hand and it was the best hand, and the dealer mucked it." and he's not going to rule in your favor??"

No offence, but I've seen the craziest rulings over the years.
Just because you think you have an open & shut case does not always mean the floor will do the right thing.

"I'll tell you why the dealer didn't call the floor: she didn't want to get in trouble for making a mistake."

You've got me there.

3) Does it really pay to be nice or is this just a case of being in the right place at the right time?

"I don't understand your question."

My bad punker.

Talking with players I know who are far more gifted, talented, etc at this game then I am; there seems to be two camps as far as how you should treat tourists at the table when they want to engage in conversation.

These two camps go something like this......

Camp 1) Don't let a jabberjaw talk your ear off. You need to pay attention to what's going on in the game. If they start talking to you, nip it in the bud. Who cares if they get mad at you. I remember when a widely respected top Vegas hold'em player (LM) was posting here (2+2). Some of his post were in this vain. I don't remember his exact words but he said something along the lines of 'so what' when asked, don't you mind if you're taking a tourist out of a gambling mood. Maybe not the exact words but something along those lines.

LM is not alone in camp 1.

Camp 2) My 30-60 pro friend likes to say that he is in the entertainment business. He wants to make sure that rich people who are on vacation and wonder over to his 30-60 table are made to feel comfortable.

From reading Clark's posts, I believe he is a camp 2 hardliner as well (I mean that as a good thing btw).

I just always try to be myself. I like people and I like poker. In the 6-12 Mirage last night, not being anti-social, helped my stack size after a careless misstake on my part.

But someone from camp one could easily reply, "Yea, but what information do you miss when you are engaged in conversation with a talkative tourist".

And maybe they are right

Thanks again for the input.

Best of Luck

Howard