Thread: ADD and Poker
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: ADD and Poker

[ QUOTE ]
AKQJ10.

You've touched on an important issue for a number of card players I know. I've tried many things because I don't like the medications available.

As far as suggestions for remaining focused at the card table I've settled for a strictly regulated table break. I set my cell phone to alert me (on vibrate) every 50 mins. I get up from the table and take a walk, go to the bathroom...Just to clear my head. I take this time to review my play and to clarify my reads on the people at the table.

I've found that when I don't do this I suffer greatly about 1.5 hours into the session.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two classes of meds available. One class is essentially long-acting speed. It works well for most, and at doses that do not make the individual "high." The second is Strattera. It seems to work for fewer people, but is chemically related to the antidepressants, and not to the stimulants. I suspect they treat two seperate diseases that look the same. We just don't understand the brain terribly well yet.

Most importantly, the diagnosis of ADHD requires symptoms to be present prior to age 8. In other words, it NEVER develops in the teen years or later. If you were asymptomatic prior to the teen years, then developed symptoms you do not have ADHD.

-Dr. Milo