View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Futurama shows how I see religion

[ QUOTE ]
Have you really used your mind when you base all your hatred of religion on experiences you had with one form of one religion when you were in elementary school?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't hate religions, religious people or even that school, but I still firmly believe that I don't want to worship a deity that doesn't want me to critcally think or ask questions that deviate from what I'm told. Accepting what I'm told as absolute truth scares me a little, if that's a problem, I guess I'll burn.
[ QUOTE ]

Are you really using your mind when you claim this kind of omniscience?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the only people that really know what death is like are all dead, and they havn't said anything to me lately.
[ QUOTE ]

I feel atheism is a crutch for people afraid of the afterlife to make them feel they are good people.

After all, if our "weak, feeble minds" are incapable of grasping God, why wouldn't we need His crutch?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're probably right, most people use their beliefs as crutches to help them through their life, on both sides. We can understand God, we have a nice thick book about it. All I'm saying is that I don't really think that we can comprehend ultimate power and what the afterlife is really like. All that we can really speculate is compared to our experiance on earth, and if the afterlife is much more than that I have a hard time believing that we can grasp it.

You don't know what a strong acid trip is like until you've done it. You don't know what an orgasm is like until you've had one. You don't know what the afterlife is unless you are indeed after life. Or can you?

I feel like the modern concept of God is a great simplification of what might really be. I mean, the greeks and romans believed in hundreds of gods to explain each little thing that they didn't really know about. We look back and laugh, in a few thousand years, what are we going to be saying about the religions we have now?

There is nothing wrong with religion, it helps alot of people live there life. No need to get all defensive when others don't believe. It's ok that I don't adhear to a formal religion, it's ok that you do.