Thread: Rumsfeld
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Rumsfeld

C'mon now Clarky - you know the pro-war folks are going to find an objectionable line in the first paragraph and not bother to read any more than that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You are right though - it's a great article overall. Hmmm...
Last Thursday, the Army’s senior ground commander, Lieutenant General William S. Wallace, said to reporters, “The enemy we’re fighting is different from the one we war-gamed against.”
That sounds a lot to me like things aren't going according to plan. Then again - I'm sure the higher military authorities know lots that we don't and everything's going perfectly. What's that? Lt. Gen. Wallace is a higher military authority. Ooops...

Seriously though - most of that article doesn't surprise me. As you mentioned, most of it has been spread out in the media over the past week in some form or another.

Military commanders generally prefer overwhelming odds - the application of overwhelming forces to the correct part of the front. Since we clearly didn't have that and are now struggling to come up with it, it should be obvious that the politicians are far too involved. It's one thing to assign objectives, it's another entirely to tell career soldiers how they should go about doing it.

Irish