View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Is High limit NL hold\'em only for the elite of the elite ?

First of all , most people here wouldnt call $200 NL, high stakes. And by no means do you need to be the "elite of the elite" to play it.

I remember when I first started playing $200NL. I was intimidated and thought these guys must be really good. Well, at that point they mightve been better then me but they werent the "elite of the elite" my any stretch.

Now when I play $200NL, I literally laugh out loud at the horrendous plays I see. The point is that its all relative. I am much better than 90% of the players I see at $200NL. Its all relative.
Ive gotten much better than I was back then and you will get better as you play also.

There are very few really good players playing those stakes. I still play at that level because the risk/reward ratio is very high. Ive had 1 losing week this year. The stress level is much lower than when I play $400NL and $1000NL.

Most guys who have gotten pretty good wont stay at those stakes, they will move up, which is why the players in the middle stakes are rarely great players.

They may or may not be better than you at this point. You wont know until you put in some real time in the games.

But if you lose at first, as I did, theres no shame in moving back down for a while.