View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Empire Poker and the Zoo

[ QUOTE ]
Ok look, when empire gives you a bonus and you clear it at .5/1 or whatever, they lose money on that deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buster,

Good post. You make some good points (and I whole heartedly agree with "the sky is not falling" stuff) but I think you may be a bit off on this particular point.

I'd be very surprised if anyone ever got banned from a Poker site for only having one single account with that site and only playing it when they are offering a deposit bonus. I say this mostly because I'm pretty sure that most poker bonuses are on average a breakeven proposition for a site. They may lose a little on .5/$1 and $1/2 players but they still make money on anyone above that. If an affiliate is eating some of the bonus ( - MGR) then they would lose even less.

If you were correct that it cost a site a fair bit with these bonuses then it would be virtually impossible for a site like Absolute to "make it". Think about it. Absolute pretty much has a 365 day a year bonus and I would assume that by far the majority of it's players would constantly be clearing a bonus.

If this is the case (that it costs them very little), why would they want to chase someone away that may at some time in the future choose to make that site their home. If after 5 years of whoring them you still hadn't switched some of your regular play to them then maybe . . . .

I own my own business and can tell you that it would make no sense to me from a business point of view to chase away any potential future customers if it was costing very little every time they "visited" my site.

busguy