View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advant

I've been experimenting with this, purposely sitting ahead of a LAG to try different tactics out (yeah sounds stupid, but I'm trying to improve my game, ok?). I've found that the there are two fundamental moves that seem to work against LAGs that have position on you; tightening up preflop (naturally), and the Stop-and-go. I find the stop-and-go is best executed on the turn; though with weaker LAGs, it will work on the flop as well. I don't like the check-raise as much, since it allows the LAG to call and see the turn. The stop-and-go on the turn leaves only one card to come, and if the LAG is drawing, he is drawing much slimmer.

The bottom line, though, is you have to play better cards, and you have to be able to read the LAG for a real hand or not. You have to avoid being trapped into calling off your stack. Interestingly, this is not that different from the caution a LAG must employ in executing his strategy.

EDIT: Notice I didn't talk about whether your hand hit, regarding the stop-and-go. You may have to bluff back at the LAG; however considering that you are playing many fewer hands, the smart LAG ought to give your bets some respect.